Friday, November 7, 2008

Finale

“All good things come to an end.” Twelve weeks have gone by in a flash and this semester is coming to an end. This semester has been a fulfilling one especially for me after taking this communication module which I find both practical and useful. Upon reflecting on the aims that I’ve set at the start of this communication course, I’m pleased to say that I have met my goals. Throughout this short span of three months, I have developed a greater insight into communication with all the discussions and made friends who helped me in the process.

Previously, I thought effective communication skills as something simple and self-explanatory. However, I came to realize that communication skills are in fact complex and there are so much more that I can learn since it isn’t something that can be mastered in a few months time. Brad has indeed exposed the class to a comprehensive overview of various useful communication techniques employed in the society. I am glad I would not be a lost sheep looking for a job after I graduate in two years’ time since I am equipped with the necessary knowledge to present myself well and communicate with people effectively.

Although the lesson structure was quite intensive and compact, I managed to absorb and apply the knowledge taught by Brad during the many practice sessions. They include: the writing of meeting agenda and minutes, professional survey report and memos being churned out, my personal resume and job application letter being perfected, the delivery of a persuasive presentation and most importantly, the design of an informative blog profile. In addition, the scenario based role-playing of the job interview also enhanced my understanding and confidence in future interviews. I am glad that this module has been extremely interactive with a more hands-on approach being taken. I must say that I have enjoyed this peer-learning exchange style very much. This course is actually the first in NUS that I’ve worked and interacted with everybody with such great comfort. I guess nothing can sum my experience better than expressing my gratitude to my mentor and fellow classmates who have enriched my learning this semester for ES2007S. Thank You.


8 comments:

tom said...

Hey Jiahao, very apt, communication is neither simple nor self-explanatory. Its good to hear that we all learned a lot from this course!

Sharon said...

Yes, I like this hands-on approach too. It's a refreshing change from the usual lecture and tutorial format, especially in Science modules.

Huiling said...

Hey Jiahao, you're most welcome! =)
Honestly, I do feel that this course is one of the few courses offered in Science which allows us to acquire effective skills which are indeed useful in our everyday lives, as compared to those "dry and boring" science modules we have except Forensic Science. Ha. In any case, good luck for your presentation on monday and I'm definitely looking forward to it! =)

Danny Wong said...

Hey Jiahao,

It's good to know that you have learn a lot from this course. I am also glad that the job search skills is included in this course as it is really useful and practical for us in the future.

I believe all of us had great fun interacting and breaking our boundaries for a more effective commmunication.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Danny.

Tan Zhenyun said...

I like this kind of interactive module as well. Unlike those of the tutorials that I have attended before, this module is so much fun and interesting. And most importantly, we have a chance to know everyone in the class!

Anyway, really glad to know you as a friend as well. =)

See you around in campus!

:: Jiahao :: said...

Hello guys and gals,

Thanks for the compliment and I really enjoyed the classes we have together. Stay in contact and all the best in your future career. I think we will be able to use what we have learnt in this module to gain an advantage!

Brad Blackstone said...

Thank you, Jia Hao, for the very complimentary post. I really appreciate the fact that you have found our interactions and skills exercises helpful and engaging.
I also have appreciated your contributions to the class.

The cartoon added to your last post is fantastic! Would you mind if I copy and paste that to my blog?

Here's all the best for your future studies and career path.

:: Jiahao :: said...

Hi Brad,

Of course, no problem! Stay in contact and cya around in NUS! Thank you for your guidance as a fantastic mentor!